Thursday, April 5, 2012

Oh Duck! Candle Decoration


This week I had a selection of humorous stamp images from Sheena Douglass to choose from.  I chose "Oh Duck!".  I made it into a decoration for a pillar candle.  My candles all run on battery.  (When you have cats you can never be too cautious.)

I started with the image on a 5 x 8 1/2" sheet of pale yellow card stock.  I used a medium gray for the image.  I colored most of the image (duck, water, cat tails, etcetera) with colored pencils.  I blended colors of chalks across the wording in the background of the image.  I also used colored pencil on the "Oh Duck!" text.  Please refer to the photo for examples of colors you could use.


After the image was colored, I used a craft knife to cut out a few of the water ripples.
I scored the bottom of the image, so it could be folded under for the candle to sit on.  I left 2 1/4" x 1/2" sections to the sides of the image and also scored them to be folded back.  I used the Crafter's Companion Permanent Tape along the front edges of the side tabs..  I attached a 2 1/4" x 9" piece of the yellow card stock to the tabs.  I've provided a photo of the candle decoration for clarification.

The last thing I did to the candle decoration was to round off the top corners.  I "lit" the candle and placed it in the decoration.






You will be able to see a bit of the flickering light through the slits cut in the water portion of the image.

I hope you try this out with any of your images.  It would definitely work well with a shorter image and a battery powered votive candle.  Have fun thinking which images you will use to decorate with!

Until next time, I am ever searching for inspiration.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment