Friday, December 6, 2013

Do you have your Christmas cards made yet?

Here's one I made with the Santa Claus image from A Creative Need.

I first sized the image to be 4" wide.  I printed it twice onto white cardstock.  Make sure that one of the images can be cut out into a 5" square or a little larger.  All you will need from the second image is Santa's left hand with cuff and candy cane.

I colored the images mainly with Prismacolor colored pencils.  Here are the colors I used:

For Santa's toy sack:
912 - Apple Green
988 - Marine Green
1097 - Moss Green

For Santa's suit:
922 - Poppy Red
923 - Scarlet Lake
1030- Raspberry

For Santa's skin:
927 - Light Peach
997 - Beige
1085 - Peach Beige
1092 - Nectar
1093 - Seashell Pink

For Santa's hair and cuffs:
1059 - Cool Grey 10%
1060 - Cool Grey 20%
1061 - Cool Grey 30%
1074 - French Grey 70%

Santa's eyes:
1022 - Mediterranean Blue

935 - Black was used on the image wherever it needed to be darkened up from being colored over.

I layered the colors and kept layering until the coloring looked the way I wanted them to.  Be sure to color the additional hand with cuff and candy cane the same as on the original image.

I used a gold gel pen to color all the buttons.  I used a red gel pen to color in the candy canes.  After the extra hand had been colored, I fussy cut it away from the rest of the image.  I put Glossy Accents on the candy cane and placed it to the side to dry.

I used a ruler and a Memento Dual Marker (London Fog) to draw dashed vertical lines behind the Santa image.  Then I stamped tiny snowflake stamps using Memento Dew Drop pads in London Fog, Summer Sky, and Danube Blue.  (See picture for reference.)

I trimmed the Santa image piece to 4" X 4" and used a corner rounder on all the corners.  Then, I cut a
4 1/8" x 4 1/8" piece of blue cardstock and rounded those corners also.  Next, I cut a 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" piece of red cardstock.  These corners were also rounded.

The card base was a 10" x5" piece of green cardstock.  This card stock was folded in half with the fold on the left.  I adhered the Santa image onto the blue card stock.  Then the blue cardstock onto the red cardstock. And the red cardstock onto the front of the card base.

The last thing I did was to attach the extra image of the hand with cuff and candy cane.  I attached the cuff to the cuff on the original image with adhesive.  Then, I used a small bit of double-sided adhesive foam to lift of the hand for some added dimension.



Hope you like the Santa card.  I plan on posting some more Christmas cards as I get them done.


Until next time, I am ever searching for inspiration,

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa! Is it just me? I can't see your card, although your description is fabulous! lol

    ReplyDelete